Contact us


This section of the website is intended primarily for Icelandic institutions applying for guest lecturers or US scholars to come to Iceland. US scholars interested in coming to Iceland should read the CIES website thoroughly.

The Fulbright Commission offers the following grant programs to U.S. faculty and professionals to lecture or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields:

  • Icelandic university departments can request scholars from the US through the core Fulbright Scholar Program to lecture and conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields. These grants are available to U.S. faculty and professionals to lecture and or conduct research for one semester at Icelandic universities.
  • The Inter-Country Travel Grant is available for Icelandic higher education institutions wishing to host an US Fulbright sholar placed at a country other than Iceland. The travel grants can be awarded for scholars who are currently participating in the Fulbright US scholar program. The Inter-Country Travel grants are usually awarded to support short, approximately one week long visits. Further information can be found to your left under the appropriate tabs.
  • The Fulbright Specialist Program provides short-term Fulbright grants of two to six weeks to American scholars, artists and professionals.U.S. scholars wishing to be considered for a Specialist grant in Iceland must apply to join the CIES roster of scholars. A link to the CIES website can be found to the right.Icelandic institutions that wish to request a U.S. speciialst must apply to the Fulbright Commission. Applications are condsidered on a rolling basis.

Related content